Saturday, July 12, 2008

Dragon Fly Cake

Made for my lovely SIL's 50th, is a mad about Dragon Flies and is an extremely talented mosaic'r so the cake design just stemmed from these two starting points.

Bottom layer torted Chocolate Butter cake and Banana cake with Nutella Italian Buttercream.
Top Layer torted Chocolate Butter cake and Coffee cake with Nutella Italian Buttercream.

You can see more photos on my flickr photostream, I have another mosaic ed cake to post, fingers crossed I'll get it up today.

P.S. A lovely person on flickr asked - 'How long did this take?'

Too long! The decorating started at 8.45am with torted and crumbed cakes, and hour off for lunch and finished at 6.10pm, with me jumping in the shower, scraping the icing off my hands, washing my hair, slapping on some make-up and getting out into the kitchen to take some pictures (boo night photography). To get to the other side of town by 7.30pm. We made it just! Then it was cosmos and blackjack, until 11pm, and a drunken drive home (I wasn't driving) and silly texts to my best friend. Waking up the next morning thinking argh now I have to clean up. Long story to a simple answer, it took about 9 hours.

8 comments:

Ivy said...

What an awesome idea! A mosiac cake. How did you do it?

Sydney Hell said...

OMG this is beautiful! I love your blog!

Cakelaw said...

This is just gorgeous!!! I wanna know where you learned your baking and decorating craft - I would like to enhance my skills, and if I could learn to decorate half as well as you, I would be very happy.

cupcaketastic said...

Ivy, covered cake as usual in fondant, then piece by piece stuck on fondant squares, let that set then grouted with royal icing.

cupcaketastic said...

Thanks Sydney Hell, and Cakelaw.

Cakelaw just keep baking and practicing, but remember to have fun.

Snooky doodle said...

Wow great cake. you re really a talented person.

Erilyn said...

I appreciate all the effort, but it looks fantastic, and didn't you just have fun too?

Joy the Baker said...

Decorating always takes such a long time! This cake looks lovely though!